This summer – alongside our usual schedule of events, competitions and classes – 5 of the chess club’s strongest players will be competing in a double-round-robin contest. This is a friendly event that has been organised to provide the combatants with some serious and challenging action during the off-season. We’ve been fortunate enough to secure a local prize sponsor for the tournament. Bridestones Brewing are an award winning craft brewery based just up the hill at Blackshaw Head. This summer they have launched a brand new product that is available exclusively at the Trades Club. To celebrate the launch of the aptly named “Holme Brew” they will be providing a small prize for this event.
Below is an up to date tournament cross table and links to the round-by-round reports on the progress of the competition.
- Competition Preview by Nick Sykes
- “There’s Many a Slip” – Round 1 report
- “… and they’re away!” – Round 2 report
- “Burglars make a profit” – Round 3 report
- “Parsons Stays Perfect and Wright Goes Wrong” – Round 4 report
- “Champion of Champions” – Re-scheduled fixtures report
- “Revenge for Shapland, Remorse for Sykes” – Round 5 report
- “Bridestones Challenge Creates Another ‘Fischer Score'” – Re-scheduled fixtures report
- “Sniper Guns Down Another Victim” – Round 6 and 7 games
- “An Epic Battle at the Trades Club” – Re-scheduled fixtures report
- “Syko’s Path to Victory” – Round 8 report
- “Bellicose Bridestones Ends Peaceably” – Final report and results